#1 2010-08-08 10:16:46

Guardian
Ion Tester
Website

Add dynamic 'Edit This Page' link

For those that might be deploying Ionize CMS websites for clients, I thought it might be a nice addition to be able to dynamically create an 'edit this page' button, possibly in the site footer, with the link being visible only to logged in administrators.
Of course 'edit' functionality is provided within the main administration area but I thought it might be a nice touch to be able to have an (admin visible) edit option on each page.

#2 2010-08-08 12:32:44

toopixel
Ionize Core Team
Website

Re: Add dynamic 'Edit This Page' link

if we start to talk having frontend links to edit, then we probably better consider having also the full editing capacity on front end, eg. when clicking "edit page" link it will show the content in TinyMCE.

Question is: should we keep Ionize simple and focus our goals on making a great cms with fundamentals features for webdesigners, or should we start to overload it with stuff like that? Personnally I vote for the first, keep it simple stupid philosophy smile

Too Pixel is a web agency located in Geneva, Switzerland

#3 2010-08-08 12:52:00

Guardian
Ion Tester
Website

Yes I am always in favor of KISS philosophy and I am more than happy to go with the flow on whatever the developers include / don't include in future versions.

The suggestion I made does obviously add more code (though probably only within the context of the 'theme') but from an end-user perspective, that is possibly the sort of feature that would appeal to them.

As developers ourselves, it doesn't matter if we have hundreds of pages of content because we know exactly where to go to edit a specific page. For someone who is new to CMS's though, it can make navigating to the exact piece of data you want to edit slightly more complicated.

I will try to add this sort of functionality once I have finished the theme I'm developing as I will be passing the site on to a school who needs a free multi-lingual site to help kick start their business.

#4 2010-08-08 12:56:44

toopixel
Ionize Core Team
Website

In the way you explain yes maybe it's good, to be discuss. For us the goal is now to get a perfect CMS and reach 1.0, which does not include that kind of functionallity in our roadmap, but contributions welcomed !!!

Too Pixel is a web agency located in Geneva, Switzerland

What's Ionize ?

Ionize is an Open Source Content Management System created by webdesigners for webdesigners.

Created and maintained by Partikule and Toopixel, Ionize wants to be the easiest and most powerful CMS.

Can I help ?

Because talent is nothing without involvement, we are looking for motivated coders and webdesigners to join the project team.

Resources

Documentation : doc.ionizecms.com

Development : Ionize on GitHub
Translations : Ionize Translations