#1 2010-08-30 15:38:12

gesmit
Ion Tester

Make the template language/structure optional

Although sometimes it's easy, most of the time, the template structure is working against you. It would be
much easier to have the option to use plain PHP and HTML in the views.

Currently, it's really working agains Ionize, because the lack of developer documentation. Modules can't be developed properly and we have to find a way around the template structure.

So, optional use of the template language would be much better.

#2 2010-08-30 17:51:22

Guardian
Ion Tester
Website

Re: Make the template language/structure optional

The tags are there specifically so you don't have to write a load of PHP code but I don't see why you couldn't use plain PHP in a page file if you wanted to4 with something like
<ion:partial path="default/your_file" php="true" /> so whatever is in your_file will be interpreted as pure PHP.

#3 2010-08-30 18:17:41

gesmit
Ion Tester

You still have to use tags and the template structure, so passing variables to a view is still not possible without the complete template structure.

Take a look at the template structure of PyroCMS, it uses the smarty syntax to pass variables from a controller or module to a view. That is a lot easier to work with. Currently (perhaps because of the lack of documentation), the template structure does not make it more efficient to work with IonizeCMS, but adds more work.

Perhaps if the structure is documented, it would be easier to pass variables from for example a module to a view.

#4 2010-08-31 08:24:57

Michel-Ange
Ionize Core Team
Website

Gesmit,

I'm sorry to be so busy : I'm currently in a golive phase of an important project.

But don't worry, I will have more time the last days of this week.

Inspiration & Innovation : Websites by Partikule, Agence Web Paris

#5 2010-09-05 14:15:10

toopixel
Ionize Core Team
Website

Back from holidays, Hello everybody !
About template and PHP, the SVN version already have a way to pass PHP, but we'll document it and explain once the new version is released, mid-september as promised.

Too Pixel is a web agency located in Geneva, Switzerland

What's Ionize ?

Ionize is an Open Source Content Management System created by webdesigners for webdesigners.

Created and maintained by Partikule and Toopixel, Ionize wants to be the easiest and most powerful CMS.

Can I help ?

Because talent is nothing without involvement, we are looking for motivated coders and webdesigners to join the project team.

Resources

Documentation : doc.ionizecms.com

Development : Ionize on GitHub
Translations : Ionize Translations