Great news : http://codeigniter.com/

Is Ionize planned with CI2 ?

Webmaster / OUF!WEB

#2 2011-02-04 18:51:52

toopixel
Ionize Core Team
Website

Re: CodeIgniter 2.0.0 Released

We are considering the question today. Of course as CodeIgniter is moving forward, Ionize will also, that is only a matter of time. To say the truth it was not in our priorities task to do that because for some time CodeIgniter development was sleeping, but as it's out now we had today a long talk with Michel-Ange about if it was a good move also for ionize to follow it. The answer is yes, but that will take a bit of time for us to move everything as we hacked a lot the old CI smile

Too Pixel is a web agency located in Geneva, Switzerland

#3 2011-02-04 19:10:51

Kink
Ion Tester

Ok, we will be patient. For me, Ionize works perfect as is.

I don't know the roadmap fof Ionize, but i think it's the time to spend some time on developping module... and, for that, considering some universal method like "install" and "uninstall", and, perhaps, make admin helpers to simplify access to ionize core system. Also, make universal ajax method with mootools tongue
Well, it's just some ideas tongue

Webmaster / OUF!WEB

#4 2011-02-04 19:14:27

toopixel
Ionize Core Team
Website

We also think that, now with 0.96 I think we are at a point that the CMS interface in backend is almost perfect, so it's time to jump into modules smile

#5 2011-02-04 19:22:06

Kink
Ion Tester

Coool smile

Webmaster / OUF!WEB

#6 2011-02-04 20:18:20

Guardian
Ion Tester
Website

I know from what you have said in the past you do not want to clutter the core with lots of modules and other 'add-ons' but I firmly believe that whilst Ionize is a great tool for developers, having some seperate modules like Polls/Survey or a Comment system (should I be brave and say 'forum') and things like that, this would open up Ionize to a much, much bigger group of users AND I honestly believe that having some pre-made modules available will actually encourage more developers to use Ionize and contribute their own modules.

You only have to look at other software like Joomla, Mambo, RavenNuke or even Wordpress to see that whilst developers are using it to create bespoke websites for themselves and their clients, there are 50 times as many 'none developers' that use it simply because they know there are modules/plug-ins etc that can easily and quickly expand the capability (functionality) of the website and you don't need to be a developer to do it.

#7 2011-02-04 20:20:47

ukyo
Community Manager
Website

Yes, you right @Guardian

<ion:ukyo from="Turkey" />
Ionize CMS Türkçe Dil Çeviri Dosyaları | My Github Repositories
Please send your first message to a forum section, not forum users or administration.

#8 2011-02-04 20:32:17

toopixel
Ionize Core Team
Website

Guardian of course you are right if we look at the background of your remark, but that's purely not possible for us to make that, or we would have to work on ionize as full time and as you know we have jobs smile

What you must know also is that if it come that we will build modules into our professional work, we will probably share some of them for the community, but since now we almost all the time build only presentational websites for our clients which doesn't requires us to create custom modules. What you also must know, is that when a client of us ask for a feature, it is given to Ionize to get it, and trust me that there was really really a lot of features that you can see now in 0.96 that we build for a specific client need. Client pays it but you get it for free in the CMS wink

I think the upcoming doc + screencasts + tutorials will help a lot the community to grow, and from that point the community will start to build modules (some of you already started and shared them) and we will be able then to let enter into the core team people with the task to create modules. But be conscious that this will take still years !

And for that reason, it would be very wrong from the community to expect Ionize to have as much modules like Joomla or other well know CMS have, because don't forget those CMS's exists for years and years, Ionize is still a n00bie in this world smile And we still think that our roadmap is first and only to make the CMS core right, when that will be done in maybe 1 or 2 years then we will start to think of building modules and why not custom templates, but hey, it's also possible that we may also sell them to be totally honnest and transparent with you.

As a last word, I would like to say that it's not our goal to get a community as big as others, at least not yet. We are living well for the moment with a few people on the forums and we don't try to improve it yet because we feel like a bit shame to attract a lot of people when we think we are not yet ready with the core.

So our roadmap is: 1. Make it right. 2. Make it known.
For the moment we didn't achieved the point number 1 so we won't start the point number 2.

#9 2011-02-04 20:37:50

ukyo
Community Manager
Website

smile

<ion:ukyo from="Turkey" />
Ionize CMS Türkçe Dil Çeviri Dosyaları | My Github Repositories
Please send your first message to a forum section, not forum users or administration.

#10 2011-02-07 10:51:53

Kink
Ion Tester

I'm agree with Toopixel, be patient.
Careful not to grow too fast. The goal is to code few modules but quality modules.

For me, i like Ionize 'cause it's a little CMS, a friendly CMS and little human comminity (i like small space tongue ). For example, if Ionize is as Prestashop, a big community, take a look at the forum... Thousands of unanswered questions... Finally, you are alone to solve your problem, except if your are a good developper or if you have good friends.
Here, every question have a response !

Webmaster / OUF!WEB

#11 2011-02-10 11:21:59

porga
Ion Tester

Boyz, it is perfect because it is not bloated, and it has native multilingual support. I think, that muutilingual should be every module made for ionize. That could differ it from other Cms solutions.

#12 2011-02-18 15:45:33

Guardian
Ion Tester
Website

Sorry it has been a while since my last post. I had some free time and came back hoping to do lots of things and then get another big project sad
@toopixel, yes I understand and appreciate what you are saying smile
I would not want to see Ionize get too big too quick either but I just think having one or two 'extra' bits (like a working contact form, comments) would help to encourage more developers here like it did for Modx.

I love Ionize and it has a very promising future - I looked at every CMS / PHP Framework I could find that offered multi-lingual conten and Ionize is the ONLY thing I found that handled multi-lingual content correctly (not just content text but also meta data etc).

I'm hoping to take the latest version for a try later today smile

What's Ionize ?

Ionize is an Open Source Content Management System created by webdesigners for webdesigners.

Created and maintained by Partikule and Toopixel, Ionize wants to be the easiest and most powerful CMS.

Can I help ?

Because talent is nothing without involvement, we are looking for motivated coders and webdesigners to join the project team.

Resources

Documentation : doc.ionizecms.com

Development : Ionize on GitHub
Translations : Ionize Translations