#1 2011-04-01 00:02:41

Galtrhan

Extended fields for specific page type

Remembered that somewhere read about that it will be possible to attach Extended fields for specific page type or template - that would be great.

For example, now I have catalogue website where every page or article has different sets of extended fields - products have price, area etc., services have hourly rates, techniques etc.

Now no matter what kind of page I'm editing I have whole bunch of extended fields available to fill, in this case both product and service specific fields all together.

Is there any workaround to hide unused fields for every page type?

Last edited by Galtrhan (2011-04-01 02:55:55)

#2 2011-04-01 08:38:57

Michel-Ange
Ionize Core Team
Website

Re: Extended fields for specific page type

The next release (0.9.7, release in the coming next weeks) will comes with a new concept, based on Extended Fields : "Content Elements".
The purpose of Content Elements is to provide some info which can't be considered as "article". One or more Elements instances can be linked to a page or article, and moved / copied to other parents.
Technically, each "Content Element" definition is a set of extended fields.

On the view side, Elements can be looped through a new dedicated tag : <ion:elements />.
Is is also possible, on the view side, to nest elements. That mean in one element, you can loop through other elements of the same parent.

In your example, you can image a "product" element, containing fields like "title", "price", "color". When adding a new element to an article or page, a popup will open the "product" form. Once added, a new tab containing all the elements of that definition ("product") will be available in you article or page.
Pages or article which not contains any Elements will not have these tabs.

For the moment, Elements are managed through pages and articles (add / move / delete) and a dedicated "definition" panel. In the future, we will implement a panel to see all existing instances of Elements in all pages / articles.

For the 0.9.8, we planned to enhance Extended Fields to make them optional and more flexible. We can't say more today.

We also need to make some performance tests before the 0.9.7 release, as Extended Fields use isn't optional anymore. A great optimisation of Extended Fields and Content Elements DB retrieve is in the box : even they are very fast, we want to make them faster, so Ionize stays the faster CMS using tags !

Inspiration & Innovation : Websites by Partikule, Agence Web Paris

#3 2011-04-05 01:14:34

aurex

it sounds great, it will be nice to performance to cache these Content Elements.
For example i love the logic of Slideshopro Director, almost everithing is cached, including the config paths =0

#4 2011-04-05 15:37:04

toopixel
Ionize Core Team
Website

Aurex, sure we will do the cache when we will migrate ionize to CI 2.0 because the cache of CI 2.0 is suitable, which is not the case on the actual Framework version ionize is based on. By the way, don't forget also about server cache solution which really improve the performances, I am thinking here of APC or Xcache.

Too Pixel is a web agency located in Geneva, Switzerland

#5 2011-04-05 15:38:59

Michel-Ange
Ionize Core Team
Website

Aurex == Cache big_smile

#6 2011-04-05 15:40:23

toopixel
Ionize Core Team
Website

if($aurex != $cache_active) { return $bad_cms; } smile smile smile

Too Pixel is a web agency located in Geneva, Switzerland

#7 2011-04-06 12:23:48

aurex

Michel-Ange wrote:

Aurex == Cache big_smile

jajajajajajajaajaajajajaaa lol nice

seriously my preoccupation is because i love ionize, the admin ui, the tags, the simplicity of use for the final user. But is slow to render the final pages, compared to others. for example, take a look to this ionize based site, it's under development: http://uan.mx/ it takes 1.3s and 5.63MB to render de main page (i know, it's under a shared hosting) because it makes many queries, load some others resources, and i don't know if it support a load of about 3000 visits daily (obviously not in that server, but is an example). It's only an example, the reality is that ionize may be very fast with a integrated cache system, and again, the cache logic of slideshowpro director is amazing, integrate something like that with ionize...pff... it will to fly.
And i know, ionize is a free cms and i understand you guys that is your free time and you spends it coding for the comunity without a payment, thankyou for that wink. I will to help to the comunity too whenever i can.
The next step, a cache system like facebook, isn't amazing?

Last edited by aurex (2012-08-28 00:15:33)

#8 2011-04-06 15:44:11

Michel-Ange
Ionize Core Team
Website

No, not like Facebook, like Google is better ! smile

To answer you, we will first correct some bugs and this will be done in few days with the 0.9.7, then think about some missing functionnality.
The cache system will be added with the upgrade to CI2.
Trust us, we have so many things to do on Ionize these time...

What's Ionize ?

Ionize is an Open Source Content Management System created by webdesigners for webdesigners.

Created and maintained by Partikule and Toopixel, Ionize wants to be the easiest and most powerful CMS.

Can I help ?

Because talent is nothing without involvement, we are looking for motivated coders and webdesigners to join the project team.

Resources

Documentation : doc.ionizecms.com

Development : Ionize on GitHub
Translations : Ionize Translations