#1 2013-06-17 15:03:42

Michel-Ange
Ionize Core Team
Website

WHERE ARE TRANSLATIONS ? ...

Backend translations was an issue...

- An issue for us, because the tested translations systems weren't as good as expected and we finally came back to Git to host the translation, which meant we had to manage the translations, even we didn't translate,
- An issue for translators : when we leaved the online translation tool, they had to send us the translation by mail or to create a pull request on github (translators are not always coders...)
- An issue for users, who expect a simple way to get translations and to know if the files they download are complete or not...

The centralized tool we developed resolves all these issues, and we are proud to say that :

TRANSLATIONS ARE HERE : http://ionizecms.com/en/support/translations !

To translate, simply register to the website, tell us the wished language you want to translate to, and we will give you the permission to work on.

Important :
If you already have translated files, send them to team@ionizecms.com, so we can load them in the system !

We sincerely believe this tool will increase the number of available languages !

Inspiration & Innovation : Websites by Partikule, Agence Web Paris

#2 2013-06-28 12:25:17

xtro

Re: WHERE ARE TRANSLATIONS ? ...

an excellent solution. It remains to do the same documentation.

"Не суетитесь, люди. Жизнь отнимает страшно много времени!". (С) Г.Вицин

#3 2013-07-23 22:55:55

kochin

Just registered to the translation site, but can't log in. Is the site experiencing problems?

#4 2014-04-20 16:51:07

ckc

Sir,
How to solve the multi-languages in chinese?
There are two different branches which is Simplified and Traditional.
In ISO 639 name code, there are zh-Hans    (zh-s) and zh-Hant(zh-t).
I try to change this, but have some crash as it let me need reinstall.
Is it have any correct solution?

#5 2014-04-20 18:16:20

kochin

@ckc

My understanding is that the language codes are hard coded into the Ionize system. The development team once mentioned they will change them to follow a proper Internet standard, but it hasn't happened yet.

Currently only the Traditional Chinese (zht) translation is more or less up to date. The other Chinese (zh) language translation, I guess, is supposed for Simplified Chinese. However, it doesn't seem to have anyone working on it and presently contains old copy of the zht translation probably.

#6 2014-04-20 19:18:29

Michel-Ange
Ionize Core Team
Website

@kochin :
Language codes are not hard coded in ionize.
Previously, they were coded on 3 chars.
Since the 1.0.6, languages codes are on 8 chars. So lang codes like "zh-s" are possible.

Concerning the link between lang code and country flags (the misunderstanding comes from this I guess) :
If we follow strictly the standards, it is not possible to link one country flag to one language (and of course it could be considered as stupid, because other countries than england speaks english, same for the french language...)
Btw, a lot of people want to have little country flags to represent the languages, so we made the choice to make that possible on the backend by using for example the UK flag as "flag_en.gif". This can ben changed by changing the icons in the folder "admin/styles/original/images/world_flags/".

Back to chinese, we don't currently had a decision concerning Chinese languages and their coding, for several reasons :
- They are no "standards" to say "zh-s" must or must not be used as lang code for simplified chinese (ISO 639-1 considers "zh" as "macro language"), Microsoft uses "zhs" for simplified and "zht" for Hant.
- We cannot say "this IS the good standard to follow" at the moment.
- For the translation tool we provide on the website, we had to choose one 3 chars lang code we we built this tool, but it is still possible to download the "zht" trnaslation package and to put it in one "zh-t" folder and to give to the lang the same code.

So Kochin, what we could do is to decide, with you, which codes could be the most acceptable by each chinese people regarding the language he's using in his area : Taiwan, China, etc. and his wished Chinese "level" (traditional, simplified).

Inspiration & Innovation : Websites by Partikule, Agence Web Paris

#7 2014-04-26 15:19:49

kochin

@Michel-Ange

Thank you for correcting me and providing update on the language code situation.

I've been re-reading related standards. I feel that ISO 639-1 is not the one which Ionize should follow. ISO 639-1 specifies language codes to all kinds of languages and their dialects but doesn't specify writing scripts. The writing script codes are standardized in ISO 15924. In my opinion, in stead, Ionize should follow IETF RFC 5646 standard which allows language sub-tags that specify many possible combinations.

For example, in Chinese language's case, even though ISO 639-1 gives it a macro language status and includes various dialects, it doesn't says whether Traditional Chinese or Simplified Chinese is used. With RFC 5646, Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese can be specified with zh-Hant and zh-Hans, respectively. RFC 5646 includes many examples.

However, that's not the way most Web sites are using for language codes. Most sites including Google and Microsoft simply use Language-Region format, e.g. zh-TW and zh-CN for Traditional and Simplified Chinese.

What's Ionize ?

Ionize is an Open Source Content Management System created by webdesigners for webdesigners.

Created and maintained by Partikule and Toopixel, Ionize wants to be the easiest and most powerful CMS.

Can I help ?

Because talent is nothing without involvement, we are looking for motivated coders and webdesigners to join the project team.

Resources

Documentation : doc.ionizecms.com

Development : Ionize on GitHub
Translations : Ionize Translations