#1 2010-09-09 16:17:25

Mario

Using ion:tabs within content

Hey there,

recently I'm writing some module, which will provide some user based functions. Like registration, profile creation, user profiles, etc.
During developing this. I sometimes would have needed the function to use ion:tags within the content. Like to display some user information within the content itself. I would write a module-tag, which displays user information and would use it directly within TinyMCE. Like within views.
This would also give the possibility to write more featured modules. In this case I'm thinking of the tag possibility of Wordpress. You can use basic tags directly within your blog posts.

For example:
If you write "<ion:current_lang />" within TinyMCE, the processed output will display the current language.

I'd really love to have this feature ;-)
If you don't mind, I'd develop it and release it for public as soon as the new version of Ionize is out. If you like it, you could throw it into the trunk.

Regards,
Mario

#2 2010-09-09 19:41:48

Guardian
Ion Tester
Website

Re: Using ion:tabs within content

Wouldn't this require tinyMCE to be able to parse the tags? What happens if the WYSIWYG editor is changed at some point.
I guess it's possible to parse it directly within the DOM but I'm interested in how you anticipate this would work.

#3 2010-09-09 20:05:13

Mario

Hey,

I think I wasn't clear enough. I didn't mean to directly parse the input within TinyMCE/CKEditor/Whatever. I just thought, that you type in a tag (<ion:foo />) as simple plain text, it should be parsed when it's viewed within the web page.
Means: The tagmanager doesn't just process views (e.g. page.php) but also the contents of articles. You'd need to tell tagmanager to also parse &lt; and &gt; and use it before content is displayed.

Within the admin-interface, you'll see the tag as it is. But when it's displayed on the website, it should be parsed.

Regards,
Mario

#4 2010-09-09 20:46:43

Guardian
Ion Tester
Website

I see what you mean smile
Not sure if thats a good idea or not to be honest, it would basically mean having the ability to mix logic and content/presentation within the editor when the final content is displayed, which is something I prefer not to do.
I would also be concerned about what would happen if a tag method changed in the future that would break any tags stored in the DB as part of a content item.
It's a simple thing to search/replace within view files but a little trickier (for none developers) to do that within the database.

Having said that, I can see some real benefits like quicker development of a site but why not take the next step and simply allow 'view' type pages to be created via WYSIWYG editor completely? At least that way you don't have to even bother created files using FTP

#5 2010-09-09 21:05:11

toopixel
Ionize Core Team
Website

Mario, we want thinking about this feature also, but we didn't really found a good way to implement it. If you are the one which can do it, then you're more than welcome because this is really something which everybody need !

Too Pixel is a web agency located in Geneva, Switzerland

What's Ionize ?

Ionize is an Open Source Content Management System created by webdesigners for webdesigners.

Created and maintained by Partikule and Toopixel, Ionize wants to be the easiest and most powerful CMS.

Can I help ?

Because talent is nothing without involvement, we are looking for motivated coders and webdesigners to join the project team.

Resources

Documentation : doc.ionizecms.com

Development : Ionize on GitHub
Translations : Ionize Translations