#1 2016-06-17 18:37:21

adaliszk
Ionize Friend
Website

PHP7 or PHP5?

Dear Ionize Users!

As many of you know I try to make a new version of Ionize (if not check out this topic: http://ionizecms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2136 ), I reached a point where I have to decide to which PHP version I need to optimalize the code. Right now two-tree major version are possible on the hostings, the PHP5.4, PHP5.6 and the PHP7.0

I like to know which solution do you think the best:

1. Drop PHP7 support, stay with PHP5.x until the hosting services dont use PHP7 by default, so I would not able to use new cool features in PHP

2. Use PHP5.x compatible container classes and switch solutions between versions, it can be very buggy and slow sometime, but can handle the version differences.

3. Develop PHP7 code, and make a compiler wich can change back the most of features when, and load the bc files depend on version

I want to use strict types for parameters and returns, closures, serialize filters, spaceship operator, not too hard to create a compiler which can make the backword files, but I'd like to hear your opinion in this case.

Best Regards,
Adamos42

Webdeveloper, Programmer, Application developer, Ionize friend
@adaliszk

#2 2016-06-17 23:15:18

otemu

Re: PHP7 or PHP5?

Hey,

For me personally I would like the latest and greatest technologies

adamos42 wrote:

"Develop PHP7 code, and make a compiler which can change back the most of features when, and load the bc files depend on version"

I've not touched PHP7 but the gains from using it seem massive from what I read on-line:

• Benchmarks for PHP 7 consistently show speeds twice as fast as PHP 5.6 and many times even faster! Although these results are not guaranteed for your project.

• Type Declarations

• Scalar types.  Specifically: int, float, string, and bool.

• Better Error Handling

• New Operators such as the spaceship operator (Dam with a name like that I just want to use it haha)

The sensible answer however is to have the most compatible version, which works on the most hosts and has the minimal impact on client sites.  However am not tied by such issues, so this is not a restriction for me.  Also be great if Ionize can take a step in to the future, I remember the debates with Codeigniter and a lot of the biggest complaints was that Codeigniter didn't embrace the latest technologies, although there is both positive and negatives to that, in the end a lot of great Codeigniter developers in the community left and went on to Lavarel and other frameworks. 

I know the Ionize community is small, but when things look like it not moving, people eventually start looking else where and you get the "is ionize dead?" forum topics.

adamos42 if you can pull it off be great, I know it can be tough specially as you seem a one man army, originally when you posted the ionize 2.0 topic I said I try jump on board Jan and yet I still have not had time to jump on board, if I do get an opportunity I let you know. 

Just to add you seem to suffer from a illness I also have, when you keep adding feature after feature, code refactor after code refactor and you end up having a endless task to get the project complete......

Well that my view and good luck smile

Last edited by otemu (2016-06-17 23:23:35)

#3 2016-06-25 12:25:11

adaliszk
Ionize Friend
Website

Thanks the feedback, the compatibility compiler was my favorite from the list, but I was afraid that the webhosts are not following the php update and thats would cause non-working Ionizes. In the past month I received lot of error reports that Ionize does not work on PHP7 so maybe I way wrong about the webhost companies.

@adaliszk

#4 2016-07-19 12:18:21

otemu

adamos42 you ever thought about building Ionize in Laravel?
I know also Codeigniter 4 will be released soon as well.  Something to consider smile

#5 2016-07-19 14:02:21

adaliszk
Ionize Friend
Website

otemu wrote:

adamos42 you ever thought about building Ionize in Laravel?

Definetley Not. Sadly Laravel seems is a good framework without performance.
Take a look the charts: https://github.com/kenjis/php-framework-benchmark
(I know in the chart is only Laravel 5.1, but I think the 5.2 should not jump the whole chart, but always you can test it if you want)

I realy like the Phalcon framework but thats not an option for an open source project because the library needed to install on the server. My experience is that CI3 has near 5k response/sec in my pc, CI4 near 2k and Laravel is near 800 (Phalon near 15k)

otemu wrote:

I know also Codeigniter 4 will be released soon as well.  Something to consider smile

Yep, after the phase 3 is complete maybe then, right now the code is very basic and a few things need to be solved considering the performance drop.

The goal is with the Development the same adaptive features with hude performace as possible, thats an other interesting question that how many of you can install phalcon in your server? smile

@adaliszk

#6 2016-07-21 14:37:39

otemu

Interesting benchmarks for Laravel doesn't make good reading, Phalcon framework is lighting very interesting.

I think majority of the users on PHP frameworks are normally using shared hosts as it cheap, not an issue for me as hosting comes down to my project needs but I think majority won't be able to install Phalcon .

What's Ionize ?

Ionize is an Open Source Content Management System created by webdesigners for webdesigners.

Created and maintained by Partikule and Toopixel, Ionize wants to be the easiest and most powerful CMS.

Can I help ?

Because talent is nothing without involvement, we are looking for motivated coders and webdesigners to join the project team.

Resources

Documentation : doc.ionizecms.com

Development : Ionize on GitHub
Translations : Ionize Translations