#26 2010-07-30 18:20:14

porga
Ion Tester

Re: Your voice about navigation in Ionize ?

Super, Michel-Ange, I am waiting...

#27 2010-07-30 23:29:27

Michel-Ange
Ionize Core Team
Website

Who can the more can the less...

If it is possible to call an article through its URL, it is also possible to not call it.

So, it is in fact a false problem ?

I perhaps do not understood the problem...

Inspiration & Innovation : Websites by Partikule, Agence Web Paris

#28 2010-07-31 00:14:44

porga
Ion Tester

Oh, I did that and it works. I just thought that it can be done without extra URL segment (although if that URL isnt published nowhere, Bots wont be able to find it and link to article only.

Why am I asking this?

Because if I make some sort of static page and within article add description and youtube video and map, image gallery is not in the article, but on page. So if bots find article only, and user opens it, he will see everithing beside image gallery, am I right?

Thats why I suggested that you make two types of content like in Wordpredd, page and article.

Page as static, and article for blogging type.

#29 2010-07-31 07:41:06

Michel-Ange
Ionize Core Team
Website

If your website has not a link to this article, but to the page, the bot will not find the link to the article.

Inspiration & Innovation : Websites by Partikule, Agence Web Paris

#30 2010-08-02 11:16:36

Guardian
Ion Tester
Website

I installed Ionize because as a web developer, it looks like a simple solution to create a basic multi-lingual website for some of my clients.
I have not read every post in this thread but wanted to give you mt input regarding navigation..

The way I would this, if I was developing it, would be to use menu widgets. You could have a vertical widget and a horizontal widget so you could then display the menu widget wherever it is needed within the template - this also allows different templates to use different menu widgets and in different places.

On the administration side, when you create an article, the options would show which menu widget you want to add the article to.

For menu administration, you would need to create a whole new 'widget administration' system so when you are in the normal administration area there is the 'manage widgets' link and when you click that, select you widget you want to 'manage' and then be able to edit the 'header_menu' widget (as an example).

I do not think this would be too complicated from the user perspective and would allow the most flexibility. As an example, you could two different horizontal menu widgets - one for the header and one for the footer.

#31 2010-08-02 11:23:45

toopixel
Ionize Core Team
Website

Widgets in absolutly not in the philosophy of Ionize, nor handling horizontal or vertical menus. We think that those are designer specific, you can control every aspect of your layout with templates, including the way the menus are generated (see documentation for that).

There is one important thing which is actually missing in Ionize: ability to add more menus.
That feature will be covered among many other cool core features in the upcoming version which probably will be realeased near mid-september.

Last edited by toopixel (2010-08-02 11:25:03)

Too Pixel is a web agency located in Geneva, Switzerland

#32 2010-08-02 14:03:46

Guardian
Ion Tester
Website

I would agree that menu's are designer specific within the context that a menu should only be visible where it is allowed within the template (menu container tag?).
However, the creation and management of menu's and the menu links themselves should not be designer specific - it would be insane to suggest you would have to physically alter a template every time you needed to add a link within an existing menu.
Thankfully Ionizer doesn't do this, which is what makes it so easy to manage, from an end-user perspective. All that would be needed, in theory, is to edit a template once to add the menu tag container for any additional menu's.

Now I have had a chance to read some of the documentation and use Ionize a little bit more (I only installed it a few hours ago) I can see my use of the word 'Widget' was completely out of context and I should have been thinking more along the lines of a menu Module.

For such a young project you have done really well so far and I hope you keep it up.

#33 2010-08-02 14:25:57

toopixel
Ionize Core Team
Website

Yap, Read The F*** Manual first wink
Anyway, check that: http://www.ionizecms.com/forum/viewtopi … d=398#p398

#34 2010-08-02 23:18:53

porga
Ion Tester

One idea ( from website baker)

Make type of content "redirect page" 301 or 302.

Useful for two things: 1. If some page/article is gone away to redirect to another page without messing with htacess.
2 If we want to put link in top or left menu which will lead on some location without reading that page content (can be without content)

I saw website baker handle it this way, maybe here can be done better, so I'm suggesting

#35 2010-08-02 23:23:01

porga
Ion Tester

Also, it would be nice to be able to copy page or article (diplicate) and paste it somewhere within site tree structure

#36 2010-08-03 00:37:48

toopixel
Ionize Core Team
Website

Copying is already possible, you have an icon on top right area (near the green save button). Click on it, copy then locate it within the structure using the dropdown for parent.

As for the 301 redirect, that can be a good idea, to be defined and spoken after 0.9.6 release.

#37 2010-08-03 01:28:59

porga
Ion Tester

OH, thanks, did not see that. Aha... copy is for article not for page?

#38 2010-08-03 08:45:39

toopixel
Ionize Core Team
Website

Yes for article, in the future we can consider it also for pages, we'll see.

#39 2010-08-16 10:21:05

Guardian
Ion Tester
Website

For HTTP response error redirection I ALWAYS use htaccess. It's just my personal preference because I would never allow any program/script to handle my HTTP response errors.
Even though I have just said that, there is a good case for allowing Ionize to handle 404 - you could as an example add a category tag in the page so that if anyone does find a bad page and gets a 404 error, you can present them with some links to chose from rather than just a page with an error message.
Of course some Windows servers don't allow you to use htaccess sad

#40 2017-05-03 21:46:24

adaliszk
Ionize Friend
Website

Without reading all of the comments:

The websites are just organized files and folders, there are some parts what are hidden but they always in a hiearchical order. The navigation is a layer on top of the hiearchy where you can rewrite to friendly look the contents and show the same documents in multiple places or showing categories etc.

The contents are in a nested tree of the same type, but navigation is a nested tree of elements who can point to different type of things like a menu-item, content, category, tag, form, external source. They should be separated because a navigation should not only contain contents (pages/articles).

The navigation is your website sourface web and your contents has a deep web part, because not all of the contents should be accessed by the source engines or anybody like the error pages.

So spearating the two is a good thing.

Webdeveloper, Programmer, Application developer, Ionize friend
@adamos42

What's Ionize ?

Ionize is an Open Source Content Management System created by webdesigners for webdesigners.

Created and maintained by Partikule and Toopixel, Ionize wants to be the easiest and most powerful CMS.

Can I help ?

Because talent is nothing without involvement, we are looking for motivated coders and webdesigners to join the project team.

Resources

Documentation : doc.ionizecms.com

Development : Ionize on GitHub
Translations : Ionize Translations